Twenty One Pilots - Trench


Twenty One Pilots
Trench
2018
Spotify

Woah, I think Twenty One Pilots are upset or something because this record is kinda angry. I guess I wasn't expecting it, but the first song "Jumpsuit" which has this monotone delivery throughout, suddenly bursts into deftones level aggression. Don't worry they get back to the rock electronic rap hybrid soon enough. I guess for some people there is a Linkin Park hole shaped hole in their hearts and Twenty One Pilots is the only band that can fill it. Now buckle up because this isn't just another album about love and loss, because through a series of Youtube videos and cryptic social media posts the Ohio duo have said this is a concept record about a fictional place called Dema. Stay with me because in Dema nine Bishops reign supreme. This dystopian future is wrought with peril but includes cameos by Jason Statham (in the video) and a Cheetah. The concept comes through at times, but mostly it constrains the record, trying to fit into this narrative that is more suited for the big screen than on a record. "My Blood" for example is atmospheric and vibey, but "Chlorine" which has a similar structure feels forced and goofy when they sing "running for my li li li life". Their approach is so scattershot, rap, emo, electronic rock that it feels like a compilation rather than one band's record, which just doesn't sound unified.

"Neon Gravestones" has this absurd spoken word ending that is eye roll enduing from the jump. "The Hype" also sounds like a song from a late ninties alt band like Lit. In fact now that I really think about it Twenty One Pilots at times feel like a combination of Lit and their most direct influence Linkin Park. "Nico and the Niners" has some of the most ridiculous lyrics of the bunch as they repeat "I'm heavy, my jumpsuit is on steady I'm lighter when I'm lower, I'm higher when I'm heavy, oh ooh". It all just feels kind of silly and with little self reflection. By this point if you are wondering if there are any reggae inspired tracks you are in luck because "Cut My Lip" is here to scratch that itch. The thing is there are times where Twenty One Pilots find nice sounds, solid beats and put down some decent lyrics, but god so much of the other stuff is just absolutely childish. It all just feels like two kids playing at making music rather than truly creating something substantial. There is cleary an audience for this music because they are highly successful, I just don't know who it is.

5.0 out of 10

Comments

Popular Posts