LANY - TAT/ IDWLYA/ TTT


LANY
TAT/ IDWLYA/ TTT
2018
Spotify

There are a few reasons I decided to dive into this new EP from LANY, but the main reason is their upcoming tour. I've heard of LANY, maybe even enjoyed a tune or two, but it doesn't seem like they are all that big. Sort of a wannabe the 1975 and far more focused on the pop side of things. There is a lot of forlorn love songs and syrupy beats for a super clean vocal. I was looking the band up because and artist I love, Anna of the North, is opening for LANY on their upcoming tour. When I went to check ticket prices you can imagine my shock when I saw $87 before fees! They have two shows at the Palladium in Los Angeles, which is not a small venue. Does LANY truly think they can sell out two nights at this spot for $87 a ticket? It seems absolutely absurd. These songs are fine, but they are not nearly good enough to ask for that much. Hell they only have one full album under their belt, so just how many songs are they actually going to play? There are moments to like on this album, even some pretty good tracks, but learning this new info makes it feel so odd. I don't know who has this kind of scratch lying around to see LANY, or maybe this is just another in the long line of ticketmaster schemes. This review might seem like it's more about ticket prices than it is the album, and well yeah it kind of is.

I had to listen to this because I needed to know why the show was so much, find some kind of justification, but it is not here. After doing some digging you learn this is less of an EP and more of a group of singles released ahead of their next album due in the next week or so. I couldn't wait, needed to get this out there and hopefully find some kind of answer. They have 282k Twitter followers, which is kind of a lot, but not selling out two nights at the Palladium a lot. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe LANY have a ravenous fan base that can't wait to shell out over $100 to see a 40 min set, but I just don't think so. Unless there is something I am missing, but my ear is pretty close to the ground so you would think I would know of a band with this much clout. This release is fine, but still leaves me confused and perplexed. Maybe the full record will blow us away and this will all make sense. Maybe the record company has so much faith in LANY that they are taking a big swing. None of it really makes sense, but obviously there is someone out there who really, really likes LANY.

5.0 out of 10

Comments

Popular Posts