Seven Lions - The Throes of Winter


Seven Lions
The Throes of Winter
2015

Seven Lions is a DJ and producer from Chicago and his latest EP is The Throes of Winter. I was ready for a typical EDM experience, pleasurable but mostly the same. I was wrong. Seven Lions has created something beautiful here, it is layered, complex, sonically interesting and it always keeps you on your toes. What I like most is about the album is that while it zigs everytime you thing it is going to zag it is still a completely enjoyable experience. I found myself dancing but at the same time wanting to listen intently and get as much as I could out each track. In a completely crazy move for my former punk rock mind Davey Havok sings on "December" and is only one piece of an incredible group of singers on this record.

There are an Intro and Outro on the six track release, which can seem a bit ridiculous, however they are quite beautiful (Orchestral in nature) and really fit in with the whole vibe the record is putting off. I was surprised and delighted at how much I liked this album. I can't wait to see what is next from Seven Lions, but for now we'll have to settle for four tracks of glory.

8.5 out of 10

Comments

Popular Posts