The Bright Light Social Hour - Space Is Still The Place


The Bright Light Social Hour
Space Is Still The Place
2015

From the first few seconds of listening to Space is Still The Place I thought oh boy her comes another jam band doors wannabe. Long songs, just repeating over and over again and people claiming "you just have to experience them live". My mind was made up, but I listened on. Oh how glad I am that I did. This record is incredible, plain and simple. Like the title suggests the music acts more like a portal to the heavens above than anything else. The songs are ethereal and streaming, weaving into complex melodies but simple instruments are used throughout. There is zero pretention even though the songs are dealing with such vaulted themes like "Infinite Cities" and "The Moon". The concept really works on this record and as trite as this may seem listening to Space is Still The Place while watching a sunrise or gazing at the stars is totally reasonable.

I am thoroughly impressed and enamored with The Bright Light Social Hour. To me it was like the first time I heard Explosions In The Sky, a total mind blowing moment. Their psychedelic rock works so well without ever straying to far in the "hippy" realm. I cannot recommend this album enough, get out there and have a listen. Hopefully partaking in your favorite substance and coming to the conclusion that space definitely is the place.

9 out of 10



Comments

Popular Posts