Colleen Green - I Want To Grow Up





Colleen Green
I Want To Grow Up
2015

This album is either genius satire, or some strange celebration of normalcy, but damn is it good. Colleen Green in I Want to Grow Up has made a simple yet beautiful album with a clear message and a truly interesting narrative. In the first half of the record, like the title says, Green explores the doldrums and daily bullshit of being an adult. However in a twist she isn't railing against these things, she's celebrating them! It is such an interesting twist hearing someone celebrate responsibility ("I Want to Grow Up") and the joy of just watching TV ("TV"). The middle of the album has two tracks "Things that are bad for me" parts I and II, and this is where she flips into the more normal tropes of wanting to get out of ones head through drug use and the pain that is being in love with some who doesn't love you back, despite your best efforts ("Some People").

I absolutely love the concept of this album, but it is so much more than just an interesting premise. Colleen Green's voice is spectacular, and the music is a great blend of different types of music throughout. As a whole the album works together perfectly, there was some serious effort put into making this record totally cohesive. It's never boring both in concept and musical execution. This is one of my favorite records so far this month and maybe even this year. Don't sleep on Colleen Green.

9 out of 10 

Comments

Popular Posts